September 28, 2011
New "Sorry You Got Laid Off" Cards from Hallmark?
Hallmark has a new line of cards for a demographic they haven't targeted before -- people who have recently lost their jobs:
What do you think? Would you like to receive a card after having been laid off?
Now, cards are nice -- but because we're in the business of giving more-concrete assistance to the unemployed, we thought we'd list a few other things that an employed person might do to help an unemployed friend (instead of, or in addition to, a card):
1. Write a letter of recommendation.
2. Ask if there's anyone in your network (on Monster's BeKnown professional-networking app, for instance) he'd like to be introduced to -- networking is important for job seekers, but many are shy about asking for introductions.
3. Take her to lunch near your office, and let her bounce job-search plans off of you -- a friendly ear can be invaluable, as can having a "professional" appointment during the workday. Plus, you'll be able to better help her if you know what her goals are.
4. Find an appropriate colleague to review his resume -- even if it's just for five minutes, this is as much about networking as it is about resume critique.
5. Invite him to your professional networking events if you can (even if he's in a different line of work, those network contacts can be invaluable).
6. Just keep her name on a sticky note near your computer, so her job search is on your mind -- that way, you'll be sure to keep an eye out for leads!
7. If he's tweeting, blogging, or otherwise promoting his career via social media, help him extend his outreach.
8. If you can help her brush up on any skills, offer to do so.
9. Don't ask him, every time you see him, if he's found a job yet. But do ask what he has been up to, and let him tell you if he feels like talking about it.
Would you like to receive an "unemployment card"? What other things would you like friends to give you to help you after a layoff? Share your thoughts in the Comments section.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference New "Sorry You Got Laid Off" Cards from Hallmark?:
Or give them a gift certificate for a new resume! OK, I admit it is a shameless plug, but it is still valid advice.
Posted by: Steve | Sep 28, 2011 9:22:58 PM
Well even this is a positive sign for the beginners.
Posted by: Doctors online | Oct 3, 2011 11:32:55 AM
The comments to this entry are closed.